By Joshua J. Darling, Sports Information Director
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – LaGrange (4-5, 0-3 CCS) men's tennis was a three set result going the other direction away from being in striking distance in what would wind up as a narrow 6-3 defeat at Maryville (5-8, 1-2 CCS) in an NCAA Division III men's tennis match on Saturday, March 25.
MC would get on the board first as Sam Cocchia and Seth Green delivered an 8-1 victory over freshmen Kyle Moore (Sharpsburg, Ga.) and Peyton Beasley before seniors Al Robertson (Moreland, Ga.) and Luke Griffin (Atlanta, Ga.) and evened the match at 1-1 with an 8-4 decision at No. 1.
The Scots would head to singles play up 2-1 following a narrow 8-5 win by the tandem of Josh Fisher and Kyle Shaver over freshmen Michael Strydom (Brits, South Africa) and Nic Bodin (Atlanta, Ga.).
Shaver would make it 3-1 with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Griffin at No. 3 singles but Strydom would come right back with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Jonathan Crane at the No. 2 spot. Robertson would then tie it at 3-3 as he knocked off Cocchia 6-4, 7-6 at the top spot before Jackson Meyer put Maryville ahead 4-3 with a 6-1, 6-0 decision over Moore at No. 5.
The match would then be decided by a three set battle between Fisher and Bodin at the fourth position. Fisher claimed the opening frame 6-1 before Bodin answered with a 6-3 win to force a decisive third set which went to Fisher by a narrow 6-4 margin. With the result no longer in doubt, Kaleb Burke would then put the finishing touches on the 6-3 final with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Beasley at No. 6.
Originally slated to face on Berea tomorrow, Sunday, March 26 at 11 a.m., the LaGrange will now be off for the next week as that match has been postponed due to severe weather expected throughout the greater LaGrange, Georgia area. They will return to action at BC in what was to be the back end of a home-and home on Saturday, April 1 at 1 p.m.
MARYVILLE COLLEGE 6, LAGRANGE 3
1. Luke Griffin/Al Robertson (LC) def. Jonathan Crane/Jackson Meyer (MC) 8-4
2. Josh Fisher/Kyle Shaver (MC) def. Nic Bodin/Michael Strydom (LC) 8-5
3. Sam Cocchia/Seth Green (MC) def. Kyle Moore/Peyton Beasley (LC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Al Robertson (LC) def. Sam Cocchia (MC) 6-4, 7-6
2. Michael Strydom (LC) def. Jonathan Crane (MC) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
3. Kyle Shaver (MC) def. Luke Griffin (LC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Josh Fisher (MC) def. Nic Bodin (LC) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
5. Jackson Meyer (MC) def. Kyle Moore (LC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kaleb Burke (MC) def. Peyton Beasley (LC) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,1,5,4,6