By Joshua J. Darling, Sports Information Director
LAGRANGE, Ga. – Returning to action for the first time in nearly two weeks, and taking on one of the top teams in the Collegiate Conference of the South (CCS), LaGrange (5-6, 1-4 CCS) men's tennis dropped a 9-0 decision to Piedmont (11-5, 3-1 CCS) in an NCAA Division III men's tennis match on Friday, April 14.
The Lions would dominate the first two doubles sets, claiming both by 8-1 scores, before seniors Al Robertson (Moreland, Ga.) and Luke Griffin (Atlanta, Ga.) pushed Silas Sandles and Simon Johnstone at No. 1 before falling 8-5.
Piedmont would build on that 3-0 lead as Bryce VanOrder defeated freshmen Michael Strydom (Brits, South Africa) 6-0, 6-3 at No. 2 and Mike Porcelli knocked off Griffin 6-2, 6-4 at the third spot to seal the match. Robertson would then deliver the most competitive match of the day as he took the opening set from Yannick Wassmer Navarro 6-4 before falling 6-2 in the second set. Wassmer Navarro would then pull out a 10-4 tiebreak to take the match.
The Panthers are right back in action on Saturday, April 15 when they host Covenant in CCS action. First serve is set for 1 p.m. at the Greer Tennis Courts and will serve as Senior Day. Prior to the match Robertson and Griffin will both be honored.
PIEDMONT 9, LAGRANGE 0
1. Silas Sandles/Simon Johnstone (PU) def. Al Robertson/Luke Griffin (LC) 8-5
2. Y. Wassmer Navarro/Mike Porcelli (PU) def. Michael Strydom/Nic Bodin (LC) 8-1
3. Connor Phelps/Ryan Raugh (PU) def. Kyle Moore/Zach Neighbors (LC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Yannick Wassmer Navarro (PU) def. Al Robertson (LC) 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
2. Bryce VanOrder (PU) def. Michael Strydom (LC) 6-0, 6-3
3. Mike Porcelli (PU) def. Luke Griffin (LC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Connor Phelps (PU) def. Nic Bodin (LC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Simon Johnstone (PU) def. Kyle Moore (LC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kody Dills (PU) def. Zach Neighbors (LC) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2,3,1,6,4,5