By Joshua J. Darling, Sports Information Director
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – LaGrange (0-6, 0-2 CCS) women's tennis had their best showing of the season as they dropped a 6-3 decision at Huntingdon (3-1, 2-0 CCS) in an NCAA Division III women's tennis match on Saturday, March 18.
The Panthers would go up 1-0 via forfeit at No. 3 doubles as junior Leila Moss (Suwanee, Ga.) and senior Karson Troth (Marshall, Mo.) collected the win. HC's Katelyn Morris and Madison Parker would then take the two spot with an 8-1 victory over junior Journey Oden (Boaz, Ala.) and Olivia Dusterdieck.
Seniors Kirsten Boyd (Alabaster, Ala.) and Hannah Miller (Jacksonville, Fla.) would push Meredith Head and Alonda Weaver before falling 8-4 at the top spot to head to singles play with the Hawks up 2-1. They would knot it up immediately as Dusterdieck took the forfeit win at No. 6 and Moss challenged Erin Boutwell before dropping a 6-2, 6-3 decision at the fifth spot.
Parker then downed Troth 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 to make it 4-2 before Boyd kept the Panthers hopes alive at No. 3. Taking on Morris she took the first set 6-5 and then 7-6, winning the tiebreaker 10-8. Weaver would then put the match away with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Oden at No. 2 and Head defeated Miller 6-2, 6-3 at the top spot to close out the 6-3 victory.
The Panthers are off until Thursday, March 23 when they host Mississippi University for Women. First serve is set for 1 p.m. at the Greer Tennis Courts.
HUNTINGDON 6, LAGRANGE 3
1. Meredith Head/Alonda Weaver (HC) def. Hannah Miller/Kirsten Boyd (LC) 8-4
2. Katelyn Morris/Madison Parker (HC) def. Journey Oden/Olivia Dusterdieck (LC) 8-1
3. Karson Troth/Leila Moss (LC) def. No player/No player (HC), by forfeit
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Meredith Head (HC) def. Hannah Miller (LC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alonda Weaver (HC) def. Journey Oden (LC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Kirsten Boyd (LC) def. Katelyn Morris (HC) 7-5, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Madison Parker (HC) def. Karson Troth (LC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Erin Boutwell (HC) def. Leila Moss (LC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Olivia Dusterdieck (LC) def. No player (HC), by forfeit
Order of Finish: 6,5,4,3,2,1