By Joshua J. Darling, Sports Information Director
BEREA, Ky. – Playing at a disadvantage coming in, LaGrange (0-9, 0-4 CCS) women's tennis was not in position to earn a victory due to a shortage of players but swept the action on the court in a narrow 5-4 loss at Berea (1-9, 1-3 CCS) in Collegiate Conference of the South (CCS) action in an NCAA Division III women's tennis match on Saturday, April 1.
Two matches were slated to be played as a result of an earlier postponement, however, the results of the second are currently in question and will be reported on when irregularities are resolved.
The Panthers would forfeit five matches, No. 2 and No. 3 doubles and the last three singles, but would otherwise be perfect. That would start with seniors Hannah Miller and Kirsten Boyd (Alabaster, Ala.) earning a commanding 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles and continue with three convincing singles victories.
Boyd would lead the charge there with a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Kaylee Jorgensen at the No. 3 spot while junior Journey Oden (Boaz, Ala.) delivered a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Sophia Mercer at No. 2. They would round out the match as Miller posted a 6-2, 6-1 win over June Smith at the top spot.
The Panthers return to action on Friday, April7 when they host Piedmont in CCS action. First serve is set for 1 p.m. although there is a possibility the date of the contest could change.
BEREA 5, LAGRANGE 4
1. Hannah Miller/Kirsten Boyd (LC) def. Ti Meh/CJ Verbeck (BC) 8-2
2. No player/No player (BC) def. No player/No player (LC), by forfeit
3. No player/No player (BC) def. No player/No player (LC), by forfeit
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Hannah Miller (LC) def. June Smith (BC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Journey Oden (LC) def. Sophia Mercer (BC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kirsten Boyd (LC) def. Kaylee Jorgensen (BC) 6-0, 6-1
4. No player (BC) def. No player (LC), by forfeit
5. No player (BC) def. No player (LC), by forfeit
6. No player (BC) def. No player (LC), by forfeit
Order of Finish: 4,5,6.3,2,1