By Joshua J. Darling, Sports Information Director
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – LaGrange (0-8, 0-3 CCS) women's tennis could not keep pace with Maryville (4-7, 2-1 CCS) in Collegiate Conference of the South action as they dropped a 9-0 decision in an NCAA Division III women's tennis match on Saturday, March 25.
The Scots would dominate doubles play, claiming the No. 2 and No. 3 spots by 8-1 scores before the duo of senior Kirsten Boyd (Alabaster, Ala.) and junior Journey Oden (Boaz, Ala.) fell 8-3 to Katelyn Cook and Elizabeth Shwaiko at the top spot.
Maryville quickly extended to a 4-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 3 singles and Oden challenged Cook at No. 1 before falling 6-3, 6-1 to clinch the match. Boyd would put up a fight at the second spot against Abby Diggs before eventually succumbing 6-2, 6-3 and Olivia Dusterdieck delivered the most competitive match at No. 4 as she fell 6-3, 6-4 to Eliza Chesire. MC then closed out the 9-0 victory with identical 6-0, 6-1 decisions at the fifth and sixth positions.
Originally scheduled to take on Berea tomorrow, Sunday, March 26, the Panthers will now be off for a week with that match postponed due to severe weather expected in the LaGrange, Georgia area. They will return ot action at Berea in what was to be the back half of a home-and home on Saturday, April 1 at 1 p.m.
MARYVILLE COLLEGE 9, LAGRANGE 0
1. Katelyn Cook/Elizabeth Shwaiko (MC) def. Journey Oden/Kirsten Boyd (LC) 8-3
2. Abby Diggs/Eliza Cheshire (MC) def. Olivia Dusterdieck/Karson Troth (LC) 8-1
3. Mandy Webb/Abby Smither (MC) def. Abigail Fuller/Nina Fischer (LC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Katelyn Cook (MC) def. Journey Oden (LC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Abby Diggs (MC) def. Kirsten Boyd (LC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Elizabeth Shwaiko (MC) def. Karson Troth (LC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Eliza Cheshire (MC) def. Olivia Dusterdieck (LC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Abby Smither (MC) def. Abigail Fuller (LC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Mandy Webb (MC) def. Nina Fischer (LC) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,1,2,4,5,6