By Joshua J. Darling, Sports Information Director
LAGRANGE, Ga. – LaGrange (0-7, 0-2 CCS) women's tennis would salvage a doubles point against Mississippi University for Women (3-6) but that would be all as they fell 8-1 in an NCAA Division III women's tennis match on Thursday, March 23.
Following an 8-1 loss at No. 3 doubles, junior Leila Moss (Suwanee, Ga.) and senior Karson Troth (Marshall, Mo.) pushed Audrey Foreman and Kelis Griffin at the two spot before dropping a narrow 8-6 decision. The Panthers would get on the board at No. 1 doubles, however, as senior Kirsten Boyd (Alabaster, Ala.) and junior Journey Oden (Boaz, Ala.) pulled out a 9-7 win over Magee Etheridge and Karen Calzadilla.
That 2-1 margin would be as close as it would get, however, as MUW would go on to sweep singles play and lock up the victory. Boyd delivered the most competitive match of the day for LC as she narrowly dropped the first set 6-4 at No. 2 before taking the second 6-3 and barely falling 10-7 in the decisive frame.
The Panthers are right back in action this weekend with a pair of matches, beginning with a trip to Maryville, Tennessee to face Maryville on Saturday, March 25. They will then return home to face Berea on Sunday, March 26. First serve is set for 2 p.m. and 11 a.m., respectively.
MISSISSIPPI UNIVERSITY FOR WOMEN 8, LAGRANGE 1
1. Journey Oden/Kirsten Boyd (LC) def. Magee Etheridge/Karen Calzadilla (MUW) 9-7
2. Audrey Foreman/Kelis Griffin (MUW) def. Leila Moss/Karson Troth (LC) 8-6
3. Macie Manasco/Mallory Parker (MUW) def. Abigail Fuller/Nina Fischer (LC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Karen Calzadilla (MUW) def. Journey Oden (LC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Sarah Kackley (MUW) def. Kirsten Boyd (LC) 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
3. Magee Etheridge (MUW) def. Karson Troth (LC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Macie Manasco (MUW) def. Olivia Dusterdieck (LC) 6-4, 6-0
5. Mallory Parker (MUW) def. Abigail Fuller (LC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kelis Griffin (MUW) def. Nina Fischer (LC) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,3,5,4,2,6